Akwaaba Welcome Croeso 你好 Ciao Welkom приветствовать Bienvenida

This Blog is about lots of things including Art, Poetry, and Pens. The Main Blogging page is the Home page and the Tabs are other almost separate stand alone pages. Select a Tab (Home, Pens, etc) and scroll down to find the text. Trust me, it is there. Return to the Home page by clicking 'Home'. Enjoy the read...

Lots of stuff including Art

Lots of stuff including Art
Newport lad from Crindau, and Ceredigion resident for 27 years: former firefighter Roger Bennett

28 August 2008

An African Dawn

I awoke at 0420 and saw Mr Jacko just above my head. Scary or what? But as I came to, I realised it was the light switch, phew! My bucket of water, or should I say as a new conservationist my half bucket of water, stretched to three tasks this morning. I shaved, showered and flushed the toilet with what was left. We are talking two full kettles of water here ladies and gents and not the Rheidol Dam. Shower, you may be thinking. How is that possible? Well you use one good flannel and squeeze water prior to applying the shampoo, and then the same flannel dipped in the bucket with the soap. Lot's of splashing and very little waste. I now understand why African's use a net as a shower flannel/sponge. It does not absorb sweat and does not need to be washed out frequently and is subsequently more hygenic than our European behaviour. A plus side is that the net will also remove dead skin and needs little water as there is no absorbtion. By 0515 I was outside and enjoying hearing the birds sing. Which was a welcome change to the Frogs! The frogs sang throughout the night, and at one stage I thought I was also croaking, but woke up just as my snoring finished. My breakfast this morning consisted of a large coffee [Nescafe in a tin], and apple juice with water. Well what did you really expect? Not even I can eat at this time of the night :-)
Custom Search