Akwaaba Welcome Croeso 你好 Ciao Welkom приветствовать Bienvenida

This Blog is about lots of things including Art, Poetry, and Pens. The Main Blogging page is the Home page and the Tabs are other almost separate stand alone pages. Select a Tab (Home, Pens, etc) and scroll down to find the text. Trust me, it is there. Return to the Home page by clicking 'Home'. Enjoy the read...

Lots of stuff including Art

Lots of stuff including Art
Newport lad from Crindau, and Ceredigion resident for 27 years: former firefighter Roger Bennett

28 August 2008

Lost in a city of Millions

En-route to the book deposit I met the chicken man. He held a small wooden paddle with three wooden chickens pecking the fixed seed, with a piece of wood and cotton underneath the paddle operating the chickens. “Morning Papa, 5 Cedis to you,” “I’m sorry” I responded. I only have money for my lunch and a taxi back to Haatso. “No problem, you can have it for 3 Cedis.” It is good to negotiate, and you never pay the asking price in Ghana unless the price is written on the object or where the object is located. “No, I replied. It is worth more than that.” A look of surprise on the sellers face was worth a photograph, but this is Accra and as a White European it would be foolish to pull out my camera while unaccompanied. “No, I have many look.” At which point he showed me five or six more of these toys resting in his right pocket. “I’m sorry my friend, but I am not a rich European and I must keep what is left of my money to buy my lunch and pay to get home.” He would not be deterred. “Ok, for you 2 Cedis.” My answer remained the same, at which point he recalled some basic understanding of economics and offered me the toy for nothing on the understanding that I would return tomorrow and pay for it. In the space of five minutes he had negotiated his price down, from 5 Cedis to zero and 24 hours credit. And we think that there is a worldwide credit crunch. I smiled and explained my circumstances again and bid my farewell. The traffic moves fast and crossing the road takes a lot of time. I made it to where I wanted to be but I couldn’t quite find the Book Deposit. I asked a policeman which is always a good strategy to ensure your safety (but be careful asking a soldier with a machine gun, as they don’t seem to like to be talked too, especially if you ask to take their photograph!). The policeman directed me, walked with me for a while and then declared that he was wrong and directed me back to where I had been. Phew, it’s a good job one of us knew our way around Accra. The book deposit was a welcome sight, and a chair in the shade with the Fanta that I had carried all morning was a much needed break. The church guards and I chatted about Colonialism and slavery and a healthy hour was spent relaxing.
Custom Search